Skip to content
- A zombie is a fictional undead being created through the reanimation of a human corpse.
- Zombies are most commonly found in horror and fantasy genre works.
- The term comes from Haitian folklore, where a zombie is a dead body reanimated through various methods, most commonly magic.
- Zombies are featured widely in Haitian rural folklore as dead persons physically revived by the act of necromancy of a bokor, a sorcerer or witch.
- The bokor is opposed by the houngan or priest and the mambo or priestess of the formal voodoo religion.
- A zombie remains under the control of the bokor as a personal slave, having no will of its own.
- Modern depictions of zombies do not necessarily involve magic but often invoke science fictional methods such as carriers, radiation, mental diseases, vectors, viruses, scientific accidents, etc.